FC Dallas 4, Colorado Rapids 1 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
The Colorado Rapids might have started out strong, but FC Dallas took advantage of their mistakes and Santiago Mosquera earned himself a hat trick in a 4-1 Dallas win Wednesday night at Toyota Stadium.
The Rapids dominated most of the first half and had several good opportunities to score, but the Dallas defense was up to the challenge and the visiting side was unable to find the back of the net. Sometimes all it takes is one good counter to get things going, which is exactly what FC Dallas did in the 41st minute: Michael Barrios brought the ball up and crossed it in to Mosquera, who slotted it past a frozen Clint Irwin.
Once Dallas got their first goal, the floodgates opened and the home side was off to the races.
Early in the second half, Dallas took advantage of a corner kick when Franco Jara got his head on the end of an inswinger from Reto Ziegler, making it 2-0 for the home side. Mosquera added his second of the night a few minutes later.
Hoping to bring in some fresh legs, Colorado head coach Robin Fraser made three subs in the 61st minute and just two minutes later, 2019 MLS Rookie of the Year Andre Shinyashiki put the Rapids on the board with his first goal of the season. Mosquera wasn't done, though, and got his third in the 78th minute, to finish with a hat trick.
- 41' - DAL - Santiago Mosquera | WATCH
- 49' - DAL - Franco Jara | WATCH
- 57' - DAL - Santiago Mosquera | WATCH
- 63' - COL - Andre Shinyashiki | WATCH
- 78' - DAL - Santiago Mosquera | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both teams got big wins over their rivals last weekend and were looking for all three points to move above the red line. Getting the win tonight boosted Dallas up to 4th place in the Western Conference standings, while the Rapids continue to struggle as opportunities to get points dwindle.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Michael Barrios was dangerous throughout the first half and he finally connected with Mosquera in the 41st minute. After that goal, Dallas — and Mosquera — didn’t let up and ended up walking away with a resounding 4-1 victory.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: The honor has to go to the man of the hour, Santiago Mosquera, who got himself a hat trick tonight.